You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a few things you can take a look at, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and prepare for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly situation.
- Pull together supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace is out. It may seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this occurs, turn the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the probability is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the experts at HCE Systems Inc a call at 276-302-0076 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.