Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask HCE Systems Inc in Norton about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at HCE Systems Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at HCE Systems Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Norton home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at HCE Systems Inc a call at 276-302-0076.