While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a jingle at 276-302-0076. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Norton weather.