Anyone who’s ever had to wait for a delivery to arrive understands it can be an irritating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a central piece of HVAC equipment such as a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, many people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to arrive. If you’re considering upgrading your existing system with something like furnace installation in Norton, it may be a good idea to order sooner rather than later.
These shortages are a result of multiple problems along the supply chain. We’ll review how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to avoid the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Popular HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Generally this is better for homeowners, as this means more effective heating and cooling. But recent problems in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be produced and shipped. There are a few reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, including:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As workers continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A couple extra days here and there accumulates over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: International supply chains are fine-tuned for peak efficiency and may take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials is affected. While companies find alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Rise in Costs of Raw Materials: Metals such as steel and copper are invaluable for modern HVAC equipment. Valuable materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are particularly scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries wind back up, they’re also experiencing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also require time to train to make sure they provide reliable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these issues have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As products take longer to arrive, people might have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Thankfully, you still have options for reducing delays.
4 Ways to Minimize the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively searching for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being left without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are things you can do to minimize how the HVAC product shortage affects you.
- Don’t ignore routine maintenance: Services like preventive air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make in your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more consistent performance and a lower risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown can leave you stuck waiting for a replacement. Listen for unusual sounds and keep an eye on your energy bill for signs the HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to install a new furnace or air conditioner, it might be a better idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with current supply chain issues, you’re more likely to receive your new equipment by the time you actually need it.
- Consider alternative equipment: If a current make or model is facing a shortage, considering alternatives can open up more options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than ever.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC experts at HCE Systems Inc want to minimize your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re considering new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get a head start. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 276-302-0076.