The shifting weather in Norton can mean a variety of things, from the changing seasons to flipping off the switch of your air conditioner for the cooler months. Of course, whole home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like cooperating. That doesn’t mean that you’re headed for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner quits working or you notice it behaving oddly, there are a few things you can check on before calling in the team at HCE Systems Inc for AC repair. Here are four troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a ring.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the easiest checks that homeowners can do on their own, and may solve the problem more than they’d like to admit. Ensure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Set to be around room temperature
- Working with a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a peep. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for quite a few AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can change it yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and inhibits airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Around the air conditioner itself and normally look like your everyday light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Identify the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A common mistake among homeowners is to close vents in vacant rooms, but this could actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents may potentially cause your system to be less efficient and turn off because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve completed these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back in working order, it’s probably time to give us a call. The team at HCE Systems Inc in Norton are here to ensure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 276-302-0076 to set up an appointment with us.